Care Navigation and Signposting
The Care Navigation in General Practice course is designed to provide healthcare professionals working within a general practice or primary care setting with the knowledge, skills, and strategies necessary to excel in care navigation and patient-centered care coordination. The course emphasizes the importance of effective care navigation in improving patient outcomes, enhancing patient experiences, and optimizing resource utilization within the general practice setting
To enhance the understanding of the role and importance of care navigation within general practice and equip healthcare professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary for effective care navigation in a primary care setting to improve patient outcomes and experiences through efficient care coordination and navigation within general practice.
- Understand the unique aspects and challenges of care navigation within the general practice setting.
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of care navigators within a general practice team.
- Develop effective communication and active listening skills to engage and support patients in a primary care context.
- Apply assessment and triage techniques specific to general practice to identify patient needs and prioritize care.
- Utilise care coordination strategies within the general practice team to facilitate seamless transitions and continuity of care.
- Incorporate health education principles to empower patients in self-management and preventive care within a general practice setting.
- Utilise technology and digital tools available in general practice for efficient care navigation and information sharing.
- Promote cultural competence within the context of general practice and address health disparities in care navigation practice.
- Adhere to ethical and legal guidelines, including patient confidentiality, informed consent, and privacy considerations, within general practice.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of care navigation interventions within general practice and implement continuous improvement strategies
Who Should Attend
The following professionals would benefit from attending such a course:
- General Practitioners (GPs): As the primary healthcare providers in a general practice, GPs play a crucial role in care navigation. Attending the course can enhance their ability to coordinate and navigate patient care effectively.
- Practice Nurses: Practice nurses often play a vital role in patient care coordination within a general practice. They can benefit from the course by acquiring additional skills and strategies to support care navigation efforts.
- Care Coordinators or Care Navigators: If your general practice employs dedicated care coordinators or care navigators, this course would be highly relevant to their role. .
- Allied Health Professionals: Various allied health professionals, such as physiotherapists, dietitians, psychologists, and social workers, may work within a general practice. Attending the course would help them understand care navigation principles and collaborate effectively with the general practice team.
- Medical Students and Trainees: Medical students and trainees who are pursuing a career in general practice can benefit from early exposure to care navigation concepts and strategies. It will help them develop essential skills for effective patient management and care coordination in the future.
- Practice Managers and Administrators: While not directly involved in patient care, practice managers and administrators have a significant impact on care navigation within a general practice. Attending the course can help them understand the importance of care navigation and support its implementation within the practice
- Introduction to Care Navigation in General Practice:
- Importance of care navigation in general practice
- Key challenges and barriers in care navigation within this context
- Role and responsibilities of care navigators within the general practice team
- Effective Communication and Active Listening:
- Communication techniques for building rapport and trust with patients
- Active listening skills to understand patient needs and concerns
- Engaging patients in shared decision-making and goal setting
- Assessment and Triage in General Practice:
- Assessment methods specific to general practice
- Prioritizing patient needs and identifying appropriate levels of care
- Using assessment tools and resources effectively
- Care Coordination Strategies in General Practice:
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary healthcare professionals in the general practice team
- Facilitating care transitions and referrals within the practice and to external services
- Coordinating care with specialists, allied health professionals, and community resources
- Technology and Digital Tools for Care Navigation:
- Utilizing electronic health records (EHRs) and navigation functionalities
- Leveraging digital health tools for appointment scheduling, patient education, and telehealth
- Privacy, security, and confidentiality considerations when using technology in care navigation
- Cultural Competence and Health Equity:
- Understanding cultural and social determinants of health in the general practice context
- Addressing health disparities and promoting health equity in care navigation
- Providing culturally sensitive care and overcoming language barriers
- Ethical and Legal Considerations in Care Navigation:
- Ensuring compliance with privacy and confidentiality regulations
- Informed consent and patient rights within general practice
- Ethical decision-making and considerations in care navigation practice
- Evaluation and Continuous Improvement in Care Navigation:
- Assessing the effectiveness of care navigation interventions
- Collecting patient feedback and incorporating it into practice improvement
- Implementing continuous improvement strategies in care navigation within general practice
Course Delivery: The course will be delivered through a combination of interactive lectures delivered as a live webinar using zoom or MS Teams.,
Participants will have the opportunity to apply their learning through real-life scenarios and engage in collaborative learning with their peers. Expert facilitators with experience in care navigation and general practice will lead the sessions, providing valuable insights and guidanc
Dr Jay Verma, General Practitioner
This is a live webinar.