HCA In General Practice Course 9 – 10 May 2022
This course is mapped against the “Skills for Care’- Care certificate standards and has been adapted for staff new to general practice. This course includes self directed learning and live zoom sessions.
- Self directed online learning which includes a series of online audio presentations with an MCQ and booklet.
- 2 day classroom course in High Wycombe
- Competency workbook which allows all delegates to record knowledge gained and assessments undertaken. This book can then be taken into the workplace for employers to sign off once this knowledge has been demonstrated
Who should Attend
This session is for care workers, healthcare assistants and social care support workers:
- Who are new to the workplace or new to care
- Existing staff requiring refresher training
- Download the Care Certificate document and recognise the importance of the 15 standards against which to benchmark practice.
This course will prepare delegates with the knowledge and skills needed to work towards a role in general practice.
- Develop knowledge of some of the 15 standards developed jointly by Skills for Care, Health Education England and Skills for Health.
- Recognise the importance of patient centred care.
- Develop skills in taking a blood pressure, blood glucose, urine dipstick and temperature.
- Have an understanding of QOF templates used in general practice.
- Develop knowledge and skills in undertaking a part 1 Diabetes examination.
- Develop skills in completing a CVD QOF template.
- Understand the importance of diabetes and cardiovascular disease monitoring and the importance of recognising normal and abnormal findings.
Session Type : Classroom Session
- Ethical and Legal concepts
- New Patient checks
- Monitoring vital signs such as blood pressure, heart rate, pulse and oxygen saturation.
- Understanding what is sepsis in general practice
- Part 1 Diabetes Examination: Foot assessment, blood glucose monitoring, completing QOF templates
- Cardiovascular Examination: Blood pressure monitoring, health education and nutritional advice
Session Type: Self directed Online audio sessions
- Mental Capacity, Consent, Capacity and Confidentiality
- Equality and Diversity
- Information Governance
- Safeguarding Adults Level 3
- Safeguarding Children Level 3
- BLS, AED and Recovery position
- Infection Control
***It is recommended you identify a mentor to guide you and provide you with support to complete your skills competencies.
You are encouraged to work through the Care Certificate workbook prior to attending this course.
Ethical and Legal Issues
Vital Signs Monitoring
Handouts Diabetes for HCA
This is a classroom course which will be held in High Wycombe.
You are required to also complete the online e-learning sessions and refer to the Skills for Care document.