Introduction to General Practice GPN001
This introduction to general practice course is for qualified healthcare professionals who are new to general practice. The Introduction to General Practice module comprises of a range of modules to prepare you for general practice. A programme of blended learning has been designed for nurses and allied healthcare professionals new to general practice and includes live webinars and self directed learning that can be accessed as recorded presentations delivered by experts in the field.
The introduction to general practice course includes 10 modules with learning units and encourages practice nurses to develop basic skills. It links to the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP, 2012) General Practice Nurse Competencies.
This introduction to general practice course aims to equip you with the core knowledge and skills to work in general practice settings.
- Have a UK or overseas degree from a recognised institution or equivalent professional or other qualification.
- Hold professional registration with the NMC, HCPC, GMC or Allied Health Professional Body or Council are encouraged to have an identified mentor in general practice to complete competencies.
- Work-based learning is central to the course. This approach allows you to manage and actively shape your own learning in the workplace, with the support of nurse mentors and primary care workforce tutors.
- Some of the modules require completion of the pre -requisite ELFH modules to be completed before the live zoom session
- There are 10 modules which include :
- Learning Units
- Recorded presentations
- Competency document
- Live Webinars
- Free place on chronic Disease Update
- 6-months access to complete the course.
Introduction to Practice Nursing
Learning Unit 1: Consultation Skills and Documentation. Interviewing and record-keeping
Learning Unit 2: New patient checks
Learning Unit 3:SEPSIS and NEWS2
Lecturers: Jeshni Amblum Almer
Ethical and Legal Issues
1. Mental Capacity Act
2. Information Governance
Learning Unit 1: Introduction to Asthma
1. Introduction to Asthma in general practice
2. Integrating templates and QOF
3. Inhaler Technique
Ameet Gordhan, Clinical Pharmacist, Special interest Respiratory
Learning Unit 2 COPD
Overview of COPD
Learning Unit 3 : Introduction to Spirometry
Overview of Spirometry
HOOF and ordering oxygen in the community
Ioulia Mariaki, ARTP qualified respiratory specialist nurse and Emelia Kwakye -Sake
Learning unit 4: Cardiac Disease
CVD templates and QOF in general practice
Learning Unit 5 : Introduction to Diabetes
1. Diabetes for General Practice
2. Diabetes and CVD. Foot checks and Eye screening
3. Nutritional Advice and education. Overview of oral medication and insulin therapy.
Lecturer : Gill Dunn, Diabetes Specialist Nurse
Immunisations – ZOOM Courses
***Please see guidelines and dates as these are live zoom sessions and require completion of ELFH modules before you attend course.
2. Introduction to Childhood Immunisations
3. Foundation Travel Health Immunisations
- Infection Control
- Assisting with medical procedures
- Wound Care and Dressings
1 : Contraception consultation: Pill checks, contraceptive injection, assist with coil insertion.
2 :Overview of Gynae and Menopause
Dr Hayley Jenkins GP and FSRSH Women’s Health
- Updated QOF 2021/22
- Completing qof templates
- Mental Health Disorders in Adults
Lecturer: Dr Balu Pitchiah, Consultant Psychiatrist and Aneela Tehseen, Clinical Pharmacist
2. Mental Health Disorders in Children and Adolescents.
Lecturer: Dr Leah Brennan, Child Psychologist
1: Safeguarding Children Level 3
2: Safeguarding Adults Level 3
Kenny Gibson, Head of Safeguarding NHS England;
You should be employed in a role that will support development of your clinical skills during the programme.
Work in a clinical environment such as general practice with a suitably qualified mentor to support achievement of competencies.
You need to identify your mentor before starting the source.
Kirsty Armstrong, ANP
Gill Dunn, Diabetes Specialist Nurse
Fadzai Madingshade, Children Safeguarding Lead
Kenny Gibson, Safeguarding Lead NHS England
Aneela Tehseen, Clinical Pharmacist
Dr Hayley Jenkins, FSRSH GP Specialist in Womens Health
Dr Balu Pitchiah, Consultant Psychiatrist
Dr Leah Brennan, Clinical Psychologist
Module 1 : History Taking and Consultation Skills
Module 1: Sepsis and NEWS2
Module 2: Mental Capacity and Deprivation of Liberty
Module 2: Information Governance
Module 3: Vaccinations - Anaphylaxis
Module 3: Vaccinations - Introduction to Childhood Immunisations
Module 3: Vaccinations - Foundation Travel Health
Module 4: LTC - Asthma in General Practice
Module 4: LTC - Introduction to COPD
Module 4: LTC - Introduction to Spirometry
Module 4: LTC - Cardiovascular Disease Monitoring
Module 4: LTC : Type 2 Diabetes in General Practice
Module 4: Long-Term Conditions Update - Webinar
Module 5 - Chaperoning
Module 5: Minor Surgery : Assisting with Medical procedures
Module 5: Infection Control
Module 6 : Overview of Wound Care and Dressing
Module 6: Burns
Module 6 :Bites
Module 7: Women's Health - Contraception Consultations
Module 7: Women's Health - Gynae and Menopause
Module 9: Mental health Disorders in Children and Young People
Module 9: Mental Health Disorders in Adults
Module 10: Vulnerable Groups - Safeguarding Children Level 3
Module 10: Vulnerable Groups -Safeguarding Adults Level 3
This course is a rolling programme over 6months.
Kindly take note of the following dates;
Foundation to Travel Health. 30 June 2022 and 26 October 2022
Childhood Immunisation 15 June 2022 and 11 October 2022