Minor Illness Webinar 19 20 21 March 2024
Course title: Minor Illness Webinar.
Date: 19 – 21 March 2024
Time: 0900 – 1600hrs (GMT)
Session type: ZOOM webinar
CPD Accreditation: 30 CPD hour
This minor illness course is for nurse practitioners, allied healthcare practitioners and independent non medical prescribers working towards advanced roles seeing and treating adults in primary care and community settings including general practice and walk in pharmacies. A case study approach is used to explore differential diagnoses, and pharmacological and non pharmacological interventions including safety netting and worsening care advice.
This minor illness course aims to develop the skills of experiences nurse practitioners, pharmacists, advanced paramedics and allied healthcare professionals in clinical decision-making, identifying red flags and management of minor illness presentations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pathophysiology in management of minor illnesses.
- Develop skills in treating ear disorders, skin conditions, upper respiratory tract conditions and other minor ailments.
- Critically consider ethical and legal issues that influence decision-making in seeing and treating minor ailments and working in independent roles.
- Reflect on risk management constraints when planning a safe discharge or referral to other agencies and members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Develop skills in ensuring clinical practice is evidence based through engagement with local organisation policy and current health strategy in primary care.
- Recognise importance of multi-professional working for effective and safe management of minor ailments.
- Be a registered healthcare professional with a minimum of 2 years post qualifying experience.
- Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support with an identified mentor is encouraged to support completion of skills portfolio in clinical environment and improve competence after attending the minor illness course.
*** This minor illness course is suitable for healthcare professionals new in the role with limited experience seeing and treating patients independently. ***Completion of this course does not award competence or the title of Advanced Practitioner. This is obtained with experience, mentorship and completion of relevant educational courses.
Who should attend?
- Nurse Practitioners
- Independent prescribers
- Allied health professionals
- Overseas doctors
- Physician Assistants
1. 3 day of live webinars with expert and experienced speakers
2. Booklet for each learning unit.
3. Audio recorded presentation in mental illness and antimicrobial stewardship.
4. Review zoom session recordings discussing MCQs and case studies
5. Free place on the Minor Illness update.
6. 6 months access to material
Course content and lecturers
19 March 2024
09h00 History Taking and Documentation
10h00 Respiratory Disorders in Primary Care
12h30 Headaches and Back Pain
16h00 Session close
20 March 2024
09h00 ENT Disorders in Primary Care
12h30 Antimicrobial Stewardship
13h30 Gynae – Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
14h30 Eye Disorders
16h00 Session Close
21 March 2024
09h00 Dermatology for General Practice
13h00 Gastro Intestinal Disorders
16h00 Session close
1. Antimicrobial Stewardship by Aneela Tehseen, Senior Clinical Pharmacist
2. Mental Health Disorders by Dr Balu Pitchiah, Consultant Psychiatrist
3. Chest Pain in Primary Care Nadia Dallsingh, Cardiology specialist nurse
Other Minor Illness Courses:
Mental Health Disorders - Dr Balu Pitchiah Consultant Psychiatrist
Antimicrobial Stewardship - Aneela Tehseen, Clinical Pharmacist
Sexual Assault - Samantha Thompson Paramedic Lecturer
Chest Pain in Primary care - Nadia Dallsingh Cardiology Specialist Nurse
The Red Eye and Eye conditions in
Gastro Intestinal and Genitourinary
This is a live webinar delivered via zoom. You will receive a zoom link for the sessions.