Minor Illness Webinar 13-14 Nov & 16 Dec 2023
Course title: Minor Illness Webinar.
Date: 13 – 14 November and 16 December 2023
Time: 0900 – 1600hrs (GMT)
Session type: ZOOM webinar
CPD Accreditation: 30 CPD hour
This minor illness course is for advanced nurse practitioners, allied healthcare practitioners and independent non medical prescribers working towards advanced roles seeing and treating adults in primary care and community settings including general practice and walk in pharmacies. A case study approach is used to explore differential diagnoses, and pharmacological and non pharmacological interventions including safety netting and worsening care advice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pathophysiology in management of minor illnesses.
- Critically consider ethical and legal issues that influence decision-making in seeing and treating minor ailments and working in independent roles.
- Reflect on risk management constraints when planning a safe discharge or referral to other agencies and members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Develop skills in ensuring clinical practice is evidence based through engagement with local organisation policy and current health strategy in primary care.
- Recognise importance of multi-professional working for effective and safe management of minor ailments.
- Be a registered healthcare professional with a minimum of 2years post qualifying experience.
Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support with an identified mentor is encouraged to support completion of skills portfolio in clinical environment and improve competence after attending the minor illness course.
*** This minor illness course is suitable for healthcare professionals new in the role with limited experience seeing and treating patients independently.
***Completion of this course does not award competence or the title of Advanced Practitioner. This is obtained with experience, mentorship and completion of relevant educational courses.
Who should attend?
- Nurse Practitioners
- Independent prescribers
- Allied health professionals
- Overseas doctors
- Physician Assistants
Course content and lecturers
13 November 2023
10h00 History Taking and Documentation by Jeshni Amblum-Almer, Senior Lecturer Primary Care and Course Director
11h00 Respiratory Disorders in Primary Care
14h00 Gynae – Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
16h00 Contraception and Sexual Health
14 November 2023
09h00 ENT Disorders in Primary Care
11h00 Eye Disorders in Primary Care by Dr Rahman Loay, Ophthalmology lecturer
13h00 Headaches – Clinical Decision Making and Red flag
15h00 Back pain Management in Primary Care by Dr Parmy Deol, A&E Consultant and dual GP
16h00 Session Close
16 December 2023
09h00 Dermatology for General Practice – skin disorders in darker skin tones by Dr Varun Kumar
13h00 Gastro Intestinal Disorders Dr Hasan Nour, A&E Reg
16h00 Session close
E-Learning :Antimicrobial Stewardship by Aneela Tehseen, Senior Clinical Pharmacist
E-Learning: Mental Health Disorders by Dr Balu Pitchiah, Consultant Psychiatrist
Other upcoming Minor Illness courses
History Taking and Documentation
Headache in Primary Care
Gastro Intestinal Disorders
This session explores current guidelines on managing common skin problems seen in primary care, the community and general practice.
Gynae Menopause and Contraception
Antimicrobial Stewardship - Presentation
Antimicrobial pre-course document
Minor Illness and Resources Portfolio
This course is a live webinar delivered via zoom. You are required to keep your camera on and interact during the course.