Minor Injury Courses
This minor injury course is for advanced nurse practitioners, allied healthcare practitioners and independent non medical prescribers working towards advanced roles seeing and treating adults in urgent care and community settings including general practice and walk in pharmacies. A case study approach is used to explore differential diagnoses, and pharmacological and non pharmacological interventions including safety netting and worsening care advice.
- Be a registered healthcare professional with a minimum of 2years post qualifying experience.
- Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support with an identified mentor is encouraged to support completion of skills portfolio in clinical environment and improve competence after attending the minor injury course. *** This minor injury course is suitable for healthcare professionals new in the role with limited experience seeing and treating patients independently.
***Completion of this course does not award competence or the title of Advanced Practitioner. This is obtained with experience, mentorship and completion of relevant educational courses.
Who should attend
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurses new to urgent care
- Independent prescribers
- Allied health professionals
- Overseas doctors
- Physician Assistants
- Develop knowledge of upper and lower limb anatomy.
- Critically consider ethical and legal issues that influence decision-making in seeing and treating musculoskeletal injuries and working in independent roles.
- Reflect on risk management constraints when planning a safe discharge or referral to other agencies and members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Develop skills in ensuring clinical practice is evidence based through engagement with local organisation policy and current health strategy in primary care.
- Recognise importance of multi-professional working for effective and safe management of minor ailments
*On completion, you are encouraged to complete the skills portfolio in your clinical environment supported by a mentor.AssessmentThere is an MCQ to be completed at the end of each learning unit on this minor illness course.*Please contact the course director or speak to the relevant university if you wish to APeL this course into a Masters or Degree Advanced Practice programme.Whats included?1. Booklet for each learning unit.2. Audio recorded presentation by a specialist in the area.3. Free place on the Minor Injurys update.
4. 3months access to material