Welcome to Healthcare Assistant (HCA) and Healthcare Support Worker (HCSWs) programmes. We have a range fo courses to suit the beginner and advanced roles.
- These courses are for healthcare assistants and healthcare support workers new to working in care settings and those who have experience of working but require updating or wish to extend their roles.
- The Foundation course is mapped against the “Skills for Care’- Care certificate standards and has been adapted for staff who are working in care settings or working in service users own homes.
- The Advanced Course is suitable for HCAS and HCSWs who have experience of working in care and wish to update their knowledge and skills. They can access a range fo blended learning modules that are a mixture of recorded webinars, e-learning sessions and classroom courses
- These courses can all be delivered in-house or face to face.
- Self directed online learning which includes a series of online audio presentations with an MCQ and booklet.
- Recorded webinars on some modules
- Signposting to resources to support your role as a healthcare assistant or healthcare support workers
- Competency workbook for new roles, which allows all delegates to record knowledge gained and assessments undertaken. This book can then be taken into the workplace for employers to sign off once this knowledge has been demonstrated.
Duration: 1- 6 months
Who should Attend
These sessions are for care workers, healthcare assistants, personal assistants, key workers, domiciliary care workers, care assistants and social care support workers:
- Who are new to the workplace or new to care
- Existing staff requiring refresher training
- Download the Care Certificate document and read through the importance of the 15 standards against which to benchmark practice.
This course will prepare delegates with the knowledge and skills needed to work towards a role in as an assistant or care giver
- Develop knowledge of some of the 15 standards developed jointly by Skills for Care, Health Education England and Skills for Health.
- Recognise the importance of patient centred care.
- Develop skills in taking a blood pressure, blood glucose, urine dipstick and temperature.
- Develop understanding of the ethical and legal issues that guide practice
- Understand the importance of infection control, communication and handling information
- Have an understanding of dementia and mental health disorders
The Course can be accessed in 3 Formats
Advanced Health and Social Care Course for HCA;s and HCSWs
How are you assessed
- You are required to build a portfolio of evidence in the form of written statements and reflective accounts. You are required to have an assessor in your workplace to undertake observations of your work and sign off the competencies. However, this is kept by you and does not need to be submitted to us.
- You must pass all the MCQ’s in each section in order to get a certificate.
***It is recommended you identify a mentor to guide you and provide you with support to complete your skills competencies. We recommend you allocate at least 26 weeks to complete competencies under supervision of a mentor. You will have access to the course material for 6months so that you can complete it at your own pace.