Advanced Practice in Primary Care for Pharmacists
Our Advanced practice courses provide an inter-professional programme that allows you to focus on specific courses/workshops that are the core principles of advanced practice and include professionalism, leadership, inter-professional communication, and service development. The modules below have been identified as recommended courses for pharmacists new to general practice and primary care settings.
These courses provide the opportunity to evidence and develop your core capabilities against the four pillars of advanced clinical practice (clinical practice, leadership and management, education and research). The Advanced Practice Courses have been prepared by senior clinicians, expert practitioners including nurse practitioners, general practitioners, and academic lecturers, to equip you with the knowledge , skills and values that are aligned to the Multi-Professional Framework of Advanced Clinical Practice introduced by Health Education England in 2017.
Modules accredited by CPDUK. Please speak to your course director if you wish to APeL any modules.
Total credits: 70
The course programmes have been designed to meet the four pillars of advanced practice:
- clinical practice
- leadership and management
This course aims to prepare practitioners to develop their knowledge and skills to work at an advanced level in clinical practice.
This course will enable you to work in a collaborative way to meet strategic health and social care targets. These targets will be met through:
- applying the principles of the 4 pillars of advanced practice in your clinical environment.
- demonstrate innovation, enhanced decision-making, problem-solving and change management within advanced practice
- work with inter-professional teams using a collaborative approach in a multi cultural content that is responsive to health needs and local health strategy.
- Engage with research and evidence, keeping up to date and recognising the importance of constantly updating knowledge and skills.
- Seeking mentorship and guidance to improve expertise and competence to work autonomously.
These course offers a wide range of teaching and learning strategies including interactive presentations, a handbook with current evidence based guidelines, MCQs, group work and signposting to reading material and resources to support your learning. There is also a skills workbook to guide you in clinical practice.
- Case Studies
- Skills Portfolio with competencies to complete in clinical Practice
Who Should Attend?
- Pharmacists wishing to work in advanced roles in primary care and general practice settings.
- Clinicians wanting to advance their knowledge and skills to work independently in primary care settings such as general practice, urgent care, walk in centre, the community and pharmacies.
- Delegates will come from a range of regulated healthcare professions such as nursing, pharmacy, therapeutic and diagnostic radiography, physiotherapy, paramedics, speech and language therapy, dietetics, and occupational health, who are working in a variety of specialties, general practice and primary care settings, or sectors.
These courses can be accessed as eLearning, webinars or face to face classroom sessions. A blended learning approach is used as some modules can be accessed as recorded webinars , live webinars and face to face classroom sessions.
- History Taking and Physical Examinations Skills
- Minor Illness Modules
- Blood Results Interpretation
- Paediatric Minor Illness
- Telephone Triage